Lehigh University B.A., 1990
Carla Schiff Donnelly has been practicing family law for more than 20 years. An experienced Pittsburgh Divorce Attorney, she joined Gentile, Horoho & Avalli, P.C. in 2013 and was named a Principal of the firm in 2016. She focuses her practice on divorce litigation and mediation, with a concentration on complex financial and custody issues, including international divorce cases. She also specializes in preparing and negotiating prenuptial and postnuptial agreements and is trained in Collaborative Law, Mediation, and Parent Coordination.
In 2019, Ms. Donnelly was named to the 10 Best Family Law Attorneys in Pennsylvania by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys.
Ms. Donnelly is committed to protecting children in custody and divorce cases and has been appointed by family court judges to serves as a Guardian ad Litem.
She is a participant in the Children’s Issues Sub-Committee of the Family Law Section of the Allegheny County Bar Association and the Children’s Rights Committee of the Pennsylvania Bar Association (PBA).
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Donnelly practiced family law for 12 years at Stern and Edlin, P.C., a leading domestic relations firm in Atlanta, Georgia. She served on the board of the Visions Anew Institute, a nonprofit organization in the Atlanta area whose mission is to assist individual through the divorce process with information, integrity, and dignity.
Ms. Donnelly approaches family law cases with a win-win mindset. She has represented clients in more than 100 mediations. When an amicable resolution is not possible, however, she is an experienced and skilled litigator. Ms. Donnelly prides herself on being caring, creative, thorough and tenacious.
Ms. Donnelly is a certified mediator and can serve as the neutral to assist parties in reaching a win-win solution.
Ms. Donnelly meets with clients at our Downtown Pittsburgh and Wexford Offices. She may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (412) 261-9900.
Ms. Donnelly handles cases in Allegheny, Butler, Lawrence, Beaver, Westmoreland, Washington and other surrounding Counties.
Hear Ms. Donnelly on the radio talking about divorce:
- Your Divorce Questions Answered
- Getting Started with Your Divorce
- Waiting Periods, Support and Initial Consultations
Awards and Certifications
- 10 Best Family Law Attorneys in Pennsylvania by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
- Certified Parent Coordinator
- Certified Mediator
- Family Law Attorney of the Year 2018 – Western Pennsylvania, 3rd annual Influential Businesswoman Awards
- Rated AV Preeminent –a peer ranking indicating the highest level of professional excellence
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers 2013 Edition
- Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine (multiple years)
- One of “Georgia’s Legal Elite” by Georgia Trend Magazine
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- Commission on Women in the Profession, Secretary
- House of Delegates (2015-2016)
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Family Law Section, Council Member 2018-2021
- Children’s Rights Committee
- Women in the Law Division
- Georgia Bar Association (inactive)
When Custody of the Grandkids is at Issue, The Pennsylvania Lawyer Magazine, November/December 2014 (initial publication revised on GHA website May 2017);
Divorce: Should I Stay or Should I Go? The Huffington Post, July 24, 2013;
Don’t Get Stuck With the Wrong Lawyer: 6 Steps to Avoid the Most Common Divorce Mistake, The Huffington Post, September 30, 2013;
5 Custody Myths Separating Parents Should Know, The Huffington Post, June 5, 2014;
Cheating Spouse? 5 Things You Need to Do Now, The Huffington Post, July 24, 2014;
7 Tips for Helping a Friend Through Divorce, The Huffington Post, December 14, 2015.
Art of the Deal- Your Divorce Mediation Questions Answered, Pitt Family Law Blog, August 3, 2017;
Back-To-School Tips For Divorcing Parents, The Huffington Post, August 9, 2017.
Five Reasons to be Thankful for Divorce, The Huffington Post, November 20, 2017.