University of Virginia, BA
Robert D. Weinberg is an Associate at Gentile, Horoho & Avalli, P.C. He has practiced all aspects of family law since 2005 when he completed a clerkship with a judge in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, D.C. after graduating from the University of Maryland School of Law in Baltimore. Mr. Weinberg completed his undergraduate education at the University of Virginia, which he only left after his father talked him out of pursuing a career as a tour guide at Monticello.
After clerking, Mr. Weinberg practiced with a boutique family law firm in Chevy Chase, Maryland from 2005 through April 2015, when he moved to Pittsburgh with his wife who took a position as a pediatric cardiologist at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh: Mr. Weinberg was offered partnership with the firm the same week that his wife was offered her position in Pittsburgh; needless to say, she won.
Mr. Weinberg lives in Sewickley with his wife and three children who constitute his principal avocation: being a dad.
In his spare time, Mr. Weinberg enjoys assisting clients in all facets of family law (and other facets of the law if he is forced to). As a result of his efforts, Mr. Weinberg has been recognized as a Super Lawyer in Pittsburgh in 2019, 2020, and 2021 (he was previously recognized as a Super Lawyer in Maryland in 2016 and 2017 before taking a much-appreciated hiatus to move to Pittsburgh); he has also been recognized by Best Lawyers in America in 2019 through 2021.
Throughout his career, Mr. Weinberg has had the opportunity to work on cases involving the highest level of complexity. Included in this experience are multi-day hearings and trials dealing with the valuation of business, complicated asset distribution, tax matters, and protracted discovery disputes. Likewise, Mr. Weinberg has spent hundreds of hours in courtrooms ranging from Washington, D.C. to Washington, Pennsylvania, pursuing beneficial outcomes for his clients.
Over and above this experience, Mr. Weinberg’s passion is to work to protect children. A parent himself, Mr. Weinberg prioritizes the needs of children as families navigate the difficulties of separating. He has litigated countless custody cases in and out of Pennsylvania; his focus is always to do right by children, even when that pursuit may require his clients to hear and accept difficult advice.
Ultimately, Mr. Weinberg is focused on being aggressively reasonable. Some clients may prefer a “bulldog”; Mr. Weinberg’s calm demeanor may initially come across as failing to meet this expectation. However, Mr. Weinberg works with clients to help them understand that the best result may not be achieved by simple litigiousness or scorched earth tactics, which typically only benefit the lawyers; however, Mr. Weinberg will aggressively defend an outcome that is ultimately the right thing to do, including litigating the matter to the conclusion.
Along with focusing on reasonable outcomes, Mr. Weinberg brings a problem-solving approach to every case. Often it is relatively easy to see the ultimate outcome of a case; the only impediment is the understandable emotion and hurt that a client may feel as a relationship ends. While being empathic to these feelings (and always willing to be an expensive “therapist”), Mr. Weinberg works diligently to help clients see past this fog toward a clear, efficient, and even sometimes amicable resolution to their cases.
Indeed, Mr. Weinberg always reminds his clients that every dollar they don’t pay him they get to save, often for their children, or possibly for that expensive bottle of wine for when the divorce decree comes through.
As noted below, Mr. Weinberg is trained in collaborative law, in multiple forms of dispute resolution, and in methods to promote children’s best interests in custody matters. He brings all of these experiences to every interaction with his clients; he approaches each case with a collaborative philosophy supported by hundreds of hours of experience in courtrooms in Pennsylvania, Maryland and Washington, D.C.
Associations and Affiliations:
- Pennsylvania Bar Association/ Family Law Section
- Allegheny County Bar Association/ Family Law Section
- District of Columbia Bar Association/ Family Law Section
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- “Retired” from the Maryland Bar in 2018 after an illustrious 14 years
Awards & Certifications:
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America: 2019-2021
- Recognized as a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine (Pennsylvania): 2019-2021
- Recognized as a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine (Washington, D.C.): 2016-2017
- Recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine (Washington, D.C.): 2013-15
- Co-Chair, Family Law Section Programs Committee, Montgomery County, MD Bar Association: 2008-09 and 2014-15
- Family Law Section Co-Chair, Montgomery County, MD Bar Association: 2010-11
- Maryland Best Interest Attorney Certification Training, Easton, MD: January 29, 2008
- Trained in Collaborative Law, Annapolis, MD: 2007
- Attended two-day AFCC advanced parent coordination training, Dallas, TX: 2006
- Won “Reindeer Award” at daughter Claire’s 2014 preschool holiday party for chaperoning every single field trip that year